In order for a manufacturer to obtain the right to label his product with a barcode, he needs to undergo international certification. There are firms that are not capable of producing a quality product, as well as successfully selling it. They use barcodes from well-known companies when selling counterfeit goods.
When buying a product, pay attention to the first two or three digits in the barcode and denoting the country code and information about the producing country written on the product packaging. If these data do not match, that is, the country of manufacture is indicated, for example, Germany, and the first digits of the barcode indicate that this is China, in front of you is probably a fake product.
Check the country codes of the manufacturers by referring to the corresponding Internet resources on which this data is presented. For example, Russia corresponds to a numerical code consisting of three digits - 460, Germany - 400, Ukraine - 482, Japan - 45 and 49, etc.
Pay attention to the last check digit of the barcode. Having done a certain mathematical algorithm, which includes mathematical actions performed with the numbers of the code, and comparing the result with the check digit, you can surely tell whether it is a fake in front of you or not.
Algorithm for verifying the authenticity of the goods:
1. Write down all thirteen digits of the barcode.
2. Add the numbers from left to right in even positions.
3. Multiply the resulting amount by three.
4. Add the odd numbers from left to right without the last number to the right.
5. Add up the results of the third and fourth items.
6. From the resulting figure, discard the left figure indicating the number of tens.
7. Subtract the remaining number, which stands for units, from 10.
8. The result you received must match the check digit of the barcode.
If the check digit and the received one are different, then you have a counterfeit product.
Refer to the computer on-line programs presented on the respective sites to verify the authenticity of the goods by the barcode. To do this, enter all thirteen digits of the barcode in the appropriate field and click the "Check" button. Having made certain calculations, the program will quickly give you its verdict.